On 20 April 2010, the ALP presented its submission on the Social Assistance Amendment Bill, 2010 to the National Assembly Portfolio Committee on Social Development. The submission focuses on two issues, namely, the vagueness of the proposed definition of disability and problems in the current and proposed Appeal Processes in relation to social grants. During the oral presentation of the submission, the ALP was requested to recommend an alternative definition of disability that addresses the concerns raised in our oral and written submissions and a supplementary submission was made. The documents below provide more details.
- ALP submission Social Assistance Amendment Bill
- Annexure: Definition of disability in the Employment Equity Act
- Cover Letter to Social Development Committee Chairperson on Social Assistance Supplementary Submission
- Supplementary Submission:ALP proposed definition of disability
- Annexure: Flow chart of procedure for approving a disability grant under the proposed definition