archive > Good governance and accountability > Accountability > Civil society march against corruption

Civil society march against corruption

Civil society and labour join forces to fight corruption and issue appeal for inclusive coalition to reject all corruption

Massive marches planned to the union buildings and parliament on Wednesday 19 August

On 27 May 2015 President Jacob Zuma misused the Presidency’s budget vote in Parliament to laugh off the issue of Nkandla. He tried to make fools of the opposition parties and civil society organizations that have expressed outrage of the abuse of public funds and power. On May 28, just a day later, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko released his ‘report’ into what amount the President should repay of R246 million of public funds spent on his residence in Nkandla. His report sought to make fools of the whole nation.

But we are not fools.

We call this corruption denialism.

South Africa is engulfed by an epidemic of corruption. Private companies and individuals are corrupting the fabric of South Africa. A war room to fight corruption is expected to be led by the President. But instead it seems that corruption is now endemic in the office of the President, infects parts of the Cabinet and spreads throughout government, businesses, trade unions and NGOs. It must be stopped.

Corruption denialism by the ANC leadership is permitting the diversion of billions of rands away from the delivery of public services to the poor and into hands of the elite.

Corruption is causing massive levels of unemployment and poverty, collapsing hospital services.

Corruption takes textbooks away from learners and denies them basic infrastructure such as toilets or desks.

Corruption is a common thread that runs across the E-tolls, Eskom and other parastatals. It contributes to electricity black-outs, xenophobia, it infected the construction of football stadiums and toll roads.

The denialist response of our government to corruption is a symptom of a refusal to accept public accountability. It is part of a pattern of abuse of power.

The defence of corruption is undermining our Constitution and the chapter 9 institutions, particularly the Public Protector, who are supposed to protect it.

President Zuma, the government and the ANC leadership seem to think that they can get away with this abuse of power and that people will do nothing. They are wrong.

On June 12th 2015 a historic first meeting took place between eight unions and 29 civil society organisations.

The meeting resolved:

• To build an inclusive people’s alliance against corruption and for social justice. In coming days and weeks we will be approaching all trade unions, business organisations and faiths to become part of this alliance.
  • To organise a massive march to the Union Buildings and Parliament to coincide with the time when the Parliamentary committee report on the Nhleko report is presented to the National Assembly. These marches will demonstrate a South Africa united in its total rejection of corruption.
  • To form a representative steering committee to co-ordinate the marches, raise funds and broaden the alliance. Initial members of the Anti-corruption committee include:
  • Oya Hazel Gumede, OUTA
  • Mark Heywood, SECTION27
  • Irvin Jim, NUMSA
  • Plaatjie Mashego, Unemployment Secretariat (Southern Africa)
  • Tshepo Motepe, Equal Education
  • Thuli Ngubane, Awethu
  • Dinga Sikwebu, United Front
  • Zwelinzima Vavi, former General Secretary, COSATU

Today, June 16th, is the 39th anniversary of the start of the Soweto uprising. Yet tragically, the sacrifices of the young people of 1976 are being desecrated by corruption. That is why we are calling on all people in South Africa who support the Constitution’s vision of equality and social justice, to get ready to take part in the biggest march in South African history.

For more information please phone Castro Ngobese on 083 627 5197 or Patrick Craven on 061 636 6057 or Oya Gumede on 082 444 9468

ENDS

+ Comments

• Roderick Lim Banda says:

Please send details to assist with joining march

• Vusi Sodiye says:

I personally support an aggressive march against the corrupt ANC run government who kill, loot, squander and exonerate Nkandla kingpins. I advocate for the total removal of a government that allows illicit financial outflows by multinationals at the expense of a poor black child who still study under a tree or in falling badly constructed classroom walls.

• moloto mabatamela says:

Include EFF ,please

• moloto mabatamela says:

Inform more people,Distrubute pamphlets in trains,taxi ranks,churches

• Michael van Niekerk says:

Will be joining

• I will definitely be joining this march

Please keep me informed.

Regards
    Steven Greaves

• Anni Potash says:

I am with you on this! We can no longer allow this level of corruption to continue!

• Dave says:

We need a Tax Payers Union

• Dustin Taljaard says:

Hello

Will there be any such action taking place in Cape Town?

If so how do I get involved ?

Well done guys this is well over due, I am finally proud to say I South African again.

Regards
    Dustin Taljaard

• Mike Walker says:

You have my support.

• Fiona Wallace says:

x

• Mthimkulu Mashiya says:

Addressing the Western Cape branch of NADEL last year, the Head of Litigation in the Office of the State Attorney Ms Mohube Phahlane said in 2013/14 financial year the state spent R641 874 613 in legal costs! makes me wonder how much of that was spent on indefensible cases similar to where Minister Nhleko crossed swords with Helen Suzman Foundation on the Anwa Dramat matter.

Last month, the PE High Court awarded the former Municipal Manager of Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality more than R3 million for breach of contract by the Municipality. Initially the Municipality filed papers to oppose but in the end they effectively abandoned the case prompting the court to say in its judgement:

“It is however obvious that, the [Municipality] had no intention of refuting the Municipal Manager’s version by the adduction of viva voce evidence. And yet, they persisted with their opposition with the concomitant incurring of legal costs, which the rate payers of the city will ultimately have to bear.”

• Brett Hickman says:

Please keep me informed.

• Xolela Mjonondwana says:

Are political parties allowed to this march, if yes, will I not be lynched for wearing my COPE T-shirt when marching in Cope Town ?
    What will you do to manage moles that will spoil the march by looting and breaking car windows?

• Matt says:

I feel so helpless.

• isabel van dijk says:

Please spread the word. I’m in!

• mpumzi says:

Will take part in the march. Hope will also spread toothed provinces

• mpumzi says:

That is a good initiative

• Rhonda Qually says:

I will march and stand with my fellow countrymen and women who believe that we can have a rainbow nation without corruption. We can have excellent education and we can have jobs and houses for all – we need the commitment of our government to do this. Corruption at the top seeps down and slowly poisons the entire nation…this has to stop.

• Chris Lambrechts says:

We will be there!

• Marion Adams says:

Please send me more info on the March.

• mpumzi says:

The march must be rolled out to other Provinces as soon as possible. Most of the African states today are involved in wars and their infrastructure is delapitated due to corruption by head of state. The future Oscar our children is now being undermined not only us who are parents now. The country is going down the drain because of corruption and defence by those who also benefited from these wrong doings. Let us join hands to fight against the corruption. We fought for this country in order to have a constitution that is respected and adhere to.

• Nashreen Hofmeester says:

#TakeBackOurFuture

• Marike van der Watt says:

I am an African! I cannot let my country become inhospitable for me or my family.

• Sim Weyi says:

I am the CEO of ekurhuleni jobless people organisation (EKUJOPO) we would like to regisrer our support for the anti corruption march (protest) we are based in Daveyton and registered NGO.

• Please see our Facebook page ‘Get up, Stand up, Don’t give up the Fight’

In 3 days we reached 3,000 likes.

My blog I wrote http://voices.news24.com/trevor-kleinhans/2015/06/the-south-africa-that-i-feared-when-i-voted-in-1994/

• Please see our Facebook page ‘Get up, Stand up, Dont give up the Fight’

I also wrote a very popular blog

• Brian says:

You reaaaally need some online media guidance for maximum clout. An online article that concludes with PHONE NUMBERS for more info? Come on! And then a reference to a Facebook page with NO LINK? You’re expecting people to remember and type all of that in on Facebook, likely on their mobiles?

I support this initiative but you’re leaving 90% of your online impact on the table by not using online effectively.

• Nkululeko says:

i support the #MarchAgainstCorruption

• Vivien Laverge says:

You have my full personal support and time in terms of gathering Civil Society to create the largest March in SA EVER!

• Greg de Sleskine says:

I really hope that all South Africans will take part in this march. Our country cannot survive the way things are happening because rising costs, unemployment and bad service delivery affect us all and our current government is to blame for this.

• Motsamai Maponyane says:

i am fully in support of the civil society and organizations protesting against this cancer corruption…let it be perrenial

• Catherine Nixon says:

Pls keep me updated thank you.

• dumisani nhlapho says:

I think there needs to be provincial marches also. Can the committee go for media advertisements also. Push the sympathising media houses to grant you interviews to popularise the event

• DR USS ESSIEN says:

Corruption in the Healthcare sector, is an endemic disease, complicated by nepotism, mediocrity, managerial incompetence and administrative negligence.

90% of Health Public Service Administrators, have no business whatsoever in the Healthcare industry!

For more information, request for details fron personalphysician@gmail.com

• bheki magubane says:

Will attend the march

• Asanda Nogwina says:

it is time for change , silence can never be tolerated now, let us unite for the rights of all human race and corrupt officials such as the President must vacate office.

• Tholakele says:

I’m a 35 years old female and an activist and would like to join u guys hopefully my request wil be appreciated thanks.

• NTSIKA MALAS says:

IT HAS BEEN LONG OVERDUE AM WORRIED THE STRUGGLE HEROES MUST TURNING THEIR HEADS IN SHAME TO WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS COUNTRY AT THE HANDS OF ZUMA.IM A SOCIAL WORK STUDENT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF FORT HARE AND WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE AND CONTRIBUTE IN ANYWAY HOW TO THE BETTERMENT AND GROWTH OF THE ORGANISATION.I HAVE JUST SEEN ON THE TV MR MPOFU SAYING YOU WILL BE INCLUDING UNIVERSITIES AS WELL IN THE MASS MARCH TO THE UNION BUILDINGS SO I WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION AS TO HOW AND WHEN YOU WILL BE MOBILISING.LET ME ALSO EMPHASIS THAT I AM NOT A MEMBER AND NOT AFFILIATED TO ANY POLITICAL PARTY