Multimedia Advocacy Specialist
The Multimedia Advocacy Specialist will report on, document and secure media coverage of the work of SECTION27 (“the organisation”) and the issues on which it works using visual and digital media, social media and sometimes also print media. The candidate will also support and contribute to the social media profile and activities of the organisation.
This position has the following primary responsibilities:
- Reporting and content production
- Social media engagement
- Media relations and distribution
- Manage digital media content
- Assist with the management and updating of the organisation’s website
- Technological development, research and acquisition
- Meetings and organisational responsibilities
Key duties and responsibilities
REPORTING AND CONTENT PRODUCTION
- Film, produce and edit videos of organisational activities, take photographs; write photo captions; produce slideshows and/or audio slideshows; write narratives to report on the organisation’s issues or activities, or to accompany digital media products; research information for media production and other communications activities of the organisation and check reporting facts and obtain and file necessary releases/consents and documentation.
SOCIAL MEDIA ENGAGEMENT
- Regularly post to the organisation’s social media accounts; reply to public inquiries and requests (made to the organisation through online channels); contribute to building a dynamic, professional and engaged social media profile.
MEDIA RELATIONS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Develop relationships between the organisation and the media; distribute content produced by the organisation to the media; help develop distribution channels for the organisation’s content and work as a media liaison between the organisation and the media, and assist with related logistics
MANAGE DIGITAL MEDIA CONTENT
- Archive and catalogue the organisation’s media assets; develop and implement organisational systems to file, label and archive media content and assets; ensure that the organisation’s media assets (including photos, videos, case studies) are readily available to staff and ensure that the organisation’s media assets are securely backed up.
UPDATE ORGANISATION’S WEBSITE
- Update content to the organisation’s website (or provide content to web producer); assist with writing and producing content for the organisation’s website and assist with management of the organisation’s website.
TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT, RESEARCH AND AQUISITION
- Help the organisation to develop media and technological capacity; research as necessary to advise the organisation on technological assets and acquisitions (including software and equipment) and help set up the organisation’s technological systems (including editing workstation etc.).
MEETINGS AND ORGANISATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare for and participate actively in unit meetings, programme and staff meetings and complete relevant work, financial and trip report
- Excellent multimedia production and video editing skills;
- Demonstrated visual competencies;
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write clearly & concisely;
- Web skills advantageous; Familiarity with content management services including WordPress
- Excellent photographic skills;
- Demonstrated social media competence;
- Organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritise time and work effectively;
- Strong people skills with the ability to work under pressure;
- Highly-motivated, confident communicator with the ability to engage with people at all levels;
- Pays attention to detail and displays a high level of integrity;
- Able to multi-task and is deadline orientated;
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work across diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Technologically savvy and/or proficient;
- Innovative and creative, able to see new opportunities;
- Reflective and open to learning.
Qualifications and experience
- Recognised university degree or equivalent;
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in a relevant field (e.g. journalism, media, communications);
- Fluency in English, and a local language is advantageous;
- Excellent photographic, video editing, multimedia and writing skills;
- Strong online media experience;
- Above average competence in the use of digital applications including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications; i.e. Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MAC programmes InDesign, Photoshop and Video editing software;
- Driver’s license;
- Experience working in the NGO environment advantageous;
- Willingness to travel at short notice and to areas with few luxuries.
Please send CV’s to Anso Thom at firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 pm Thursday 15 December 2016.