SECTION27 seeks to appoint an Attorney, based in Johannesburg.
- Investigate the merits of possible cases and conduct necessary research to support interventions;
- Work with field researchers to collect data and relevant materials for cases;
- Consult with clients;
- Brief and consult with counsel;
- Draft legal papers;
- Monitor progress of cases;
- Drafting legal submissions and opinions;
- Conduct research and analysis;
- Keep abreast of legal developments that are relevant to the work of SECTION27;
- Publish articles and opinion pieces;
- Build and maintain partnerships with key stakeholders and clients;
- Engage with government and private actors;
- Liaising with media;
- Participate in team activities. This includes team meetings as well as monthly staff meetings, organisational reviews and planning as well as other meetings that relate to the work of SECTION27;
- Teaching, training and public education including presentations at conferences;
- Advocacy activities including assisting with public mobilisation.
- LLB (with admission in the High Court as an Attorney);
- At least five years’ post-admission experience;
- Experience in High Court litigation;
- Knowledge of human rights and public interest law;
- Experience and knowledge of the basic education law and policy will be advantageous.
- Knowledge and Skills
- Project management skills, including planning and report writing skills
- Writing and analytical skills
- Conflict management skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Communication, interpersonal and listening skills
- Driver’s licence is essential;
- Spoken and written English;
- Knowledge of one or more South African languages is advantageous.
- Personal attributes
- Ability to work under extreme pressure;
- Extremely organised and attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a team; and
- Willingness to travel.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com by 1 March 2017