SECTION27 is a public interest law centre that seeks to use the law to protect, promote and advance human rights. If you are passionate about human rights, self-motivated and would like to be part of a dynamic team working to challenge legal, political and social systems and positively influence society, working at SECTION27 could be the challenge you have been looking for.
SECTION27 is looking for a dynamic and energetic person to provide research support to our programmes on the constitutional right to access to health care services. The successful applicant will be expected to be available for full time employment from 9 January 2017.
- LLB degree or equivalent
- Preferably, a postgraduate degree in human rights related fields, directly relevant to the work areas of S27.
- 1-3 years as a researcher or in a related capacity at a tertiary institution, NGO or in the private sector
- Prior experience in human rights work and/or public health and legal research
- Knowledge of constitutional law
- Strong research skills
- Excellent written and analytical skills
- Good communication (including public speaking), interpersonal and listening skills
- Ability to multi-task, be flexible and adapt to the objectives and work areas of S27
- Good time management
- Good organisational skills
Duties and responsibilities
- Proactively exploring and researching areas relating to the law and human rights and preparing research reports
- Writing articles for publication in legal and human rights journals
- Producing and publishing easily accessible research and fact sheets on the law and human rights
- Assisting with the drafting of submissions on proposed policy and legislation, including international frameworks and conventions
- Assisting with the drafting of court papers
- Interviewing and taking statements from deponents and potential deponents
- Providing administrative assistance related to case work or other individual needs specific to the legal counsel involved
- Teaching, training and conducting rights education workshops
- Making presentations at meetings and conferences
- Developing partnerships locally, regionally and internationally with other human rights organisations
- Assistance to teams on all aspects of campaigns including through project management where appropriate
The position is based at our offices in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Please forward your curriculum vitae accompanied by a 1-2 page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 November 2016. Late applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.