EXCITING OPPORTUNITY AT SECTION27
SECTION27 is a public interest law centre that uses the law to protect, promote and advance human rights. If you are passionate about human rights, self-motivated and would like to be part of a dynamic team working to challenge legal, political and social systems and positively influence society, working at SECTION27 could be the challenge you have been looking for.
DIRECTOR OF LITIGATION
Our activities include litigation, research and advocacy to advance and promote the rule of law and the individual’s right of access to health care services, basic education and food, as guaranteed by the South African Constitution.
SECTION27 is looking for a Director of Litigation to plan, co-ordinate and implement its litigation, advocacy and public education in accordance with its mission and objectives. The Director of Litigation is to provide strategic guidance and manage S27’s attorneys and in-house counsel, and work closely with the team on litigation and other legal matters.
- Admitted Advocate or Attorney with a minimum 10 years’ experience in public interest litigation.
Knowledge and Skills
- 5 years’ management and supervisory experience.
- Experience and/or knowledge of the public interest law sector.
- Human rights and/or constitutional law litigation experience.
- Driver’s licence is essential.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in (or working towards learning) one or more indigenous South African languages is highly recommended.
- A self-starter.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure.
- Participatory style but decisive when necessary.
- Willingness to work beyond official working hours.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Strong leadership skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and lead the implementation of substantive programmatic work of the organisation.
- Identify and develop strategic legal interventions consistent with the organisation’s mission.
- Provide high-level legal advice.
- Convene regular meetings with legal teams to discuss plans and to identify and address challenges.
- Conduct bi-annual performance appraisals of attorneys, in-house counsel and senior researchers.
- Develop appropriate strategies for implementing advocacy campaigns in consultation with the management team.
- Develop scholarly contributions based on S27’s work.
- Conduct an annual planning session with the litigation team to develop a plan and budget for the year.
- Attend and participate in monthly staff meetings, management committee meetings, organisational reviews and planning as well as other meetings that relate to the work of S27.
The position is based at our offices in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Please forward your Curriculum Vitae accompanied by a covering letter to email@example.com by 19 May 2017. Late applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.