Democracy and Constitutionalism: Civic Education Lecture Series
SECTION27 and the Centre for the Advancement of the South African Constitution (CASAC) held a two day lecture series bringing together youth leaders, civil society organisations and social movements from South Africa and across the Global South in intergenerational discussion on constitutionalism, the rule of law and democracy.
In 2021, South Africa experienced the worst scenes of political and social unrest since the advent of democracy following the arrest of former President Jacob Zuma. The chaos unfolded against a backdrop of socio-economic instability epitomised by the country’s staggering unemployment rate, widespread political disillusionment and increasing inequalities made worse by the COVID19 pandemic. The events of 2021 exposed the fragility of South Africa’s democracy and the need for substantive transformation and redress of inequalities.
Hosted in the Women’s Jail at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg on 28 February and 1 March 2022, the event featured over 30 speakers from South Africa and other parts of the world sharing ideas on how to strengthen civic movements, constitutionalism and democracy.
- Event programme
- Watch the event
- Opinion pieces
- Democracy and Constitutionalism Series in the media
- More on our Democracy and Constitutionalism work
Watch the series
Leading up to and following the event, SECTION27, CASAC and partners wrote a series of op-eds on constitutionalism, rule of law, democracy and social movements. You can read them here:
- Faranaaz Veriava and Lawson Naidoo: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2022-03-18-our-democracy-and-civic-values-are-under-attack-the-fightback-starts-in-the-classroom/
- Tembeka Ngcukaitobi: https://www.news24.com/citypress/voices/judges-and-politics-challenging-times-ahead-20220306
- Lawson Naidoo: https://www.news24.com/citypress/voices/lawson-naidoo-the-constitution-can-enrich-democracy-20220206
- Faranaaz Veriava and Motheo Brodie: https://www.news24.com/citypress/voices/grassroots-activism-needed-to-safeguard-our-democracy-20220220
- Justice Jody Kollapen: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2022-03-01-the-challenges-are-formidable-but-we-have-the-constitution-and-collective-will-to-transform-our-society/
- Justice Jody Kollapen: https://www.polity.org.za/article/justice-jody-kollapen-speaking-at-the-section27-and-casac-conference-on-constitutionalism-280222-2022-03-02
- Irfaan Mangera: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2022-03-01-young-people-must-champion-a-new-politics-if-they-are-determined-to-make-democracy-work/
Democracy and Constitutionalism Series in the media
Read selected reporting on the series here:
More on Democracy and Constitutionalism:
MEDIA ADVISORY: SECTION27, CASAC TO HOST LECTURE SERIES ON HOW CONSTITUTION AND DEMOCRACY
Members of the media are invited to join a series of virtual engagements on constitutionalism and democracy from 28 February until 1 March.
Democracy and Constitutionalism: Lecture Series
Constitutionalism and Democracy Lecture Series – This lecture series aims to bring together youth leaders, civil society organisations and social movements in an intergenerational discussion on constitutionalism, the rule of law and democracy.