SECTION27 is a non-profit organisation that uses public interest law and advocacy to protect, promote and advance human rights and social justice. If you are passionate about human rights, self-motivated and would like to be part of a dynamic team working to challenge inequality and positively influence society, joining SECTION27 could be the opportunity you have been looking for.
Our activities include litigation, research and advocacy to advance and promote the rule of law. We focus on protecting everyone’s right of access to health care services, basic education and sufficient food, as guaranteed by the Constitution.
SECTION27 seeks to appoint a Head of Communications, based in Johannesburg.
- A degree within the field of journalism or communications
- Strong research background is an added advantage
- 5 years practical experience
- Familiar with law, legislative drafting, and legal processes
- Experience and or knowledgeable of human rights and the law
Knowledge and Skills
- General public relations skills
- Good interpersonal and listening skills
- Excellent communication skills including public speaking
- Good team management skills and overall management skills (training and coaching)
- Good report writing and analytical skills
- Decision making, problem solving and co-ordination skills
- Administration and budgeting skills
- Conflict management skills
- 2 years management and supervisory skills
- Computer literacy, specifically MS Office
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to communicate and interact with all partners
- Excellence in spoken and written English
- Proficiency in one or more indigenous South Africa Languages is advantageous
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Extremely organised and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Willingness to travel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Full responsibility for external and internal communications for S27. This includes but is not limited to
- Social Media
- Press releases
- Op Ed pieces and letters to the Editor
- Newspaper articles
- Section 27 website
- Communication with staff and stakeholders
- Lead the development of guidelines for the implementation of Communication Policy and Strategy and develop appropriate strategies for implementing advocacy campaigns in consultation with the rest of the management team
- Monitor the implementation of research and advocacy campaigns
- Manage the communications team to ensure that they generate, monitor, and assess media coverage of the work of S27 in general by proposing and executing tactical responses to the coverage.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with key personnel across South African newsrooms with the view of influencing coverage of the work of S27.
- Ensure that the Media Contact Database is regularly updated.
- Implement the performance management system of S27
- Conducting regular supervisory sessions with staff (both full time and part time)
- Addressing staff performance issues as they arise in consultation with the executive director where necessary and identifying corrective action if necessary
- Conduct bi-annual performance appraisal of all staff in the team
- Teaching, training, and public education including presentations and conferences
- Attending and participating in monthly staff meetings and organisational reviews and planning as well as other meetings related to the work of S27.
Please forward your curriculum vitae accompanied by a motivation as to why you are interested in and suitable for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 November 2021. Late applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.